Campus reopening plan
We remain committed to opening school in-person, and to do so with excellence and as safely as possible. Opening dates will be staggered for groups of students (K-12) beginning August 17 through August 21. Students will attend school on specifically assigned days that week which will allow us to have fewer people on campus, to train students on new safety protocols, and to present new learning platforms. On Tuesday, August 25, we will launch a full reopening with all K-12 students returning to campus. Preschool will return to school on August 31 as scheduled.
Our team has put together some very important information that parents need to know regarding our reopening. Please make sure to review our PCA Reopening Plan for new school procedures and safety protocols in place for the 2020-2021 school year.
PCA Town Hall:
Thank you PCA families for sending in your questions! We are happy to provide answers regarding reopening for the 2020-2021 school year via our virtual Town Hall video below. As we continue to build and refine our reopening policies, we understand the need for wise decision-making. Thank you for your understanding, support and patience on this journey. If you have further questions, please continue to email us at and we will answer those for you.
Our Framework For Reopening:
We are excited to welcome our school family back to campus. As we move forward in planning and preparation, we will closely monitor and follow the guidelines and recommendations as they are released by the government, the CDC, and DHEC. While specific decisions and plans will be finalized over the next several weeks, strategies are being developed in the following areas:
1) Well Being of Students, Faculty & Staff
- Increase frequency of cleaning in the classrooms, gymnasium, playgrounds, and common areas
- Provide hand hygiene stations at entrances and exits and in each classroom
- Adjust classroom furnishings and workspace areas to meet social distancing requirements
- Determine policy on masks for faculty, students and visitors
- Establish separate nurse station for students with COVID-19 symptoms
- Establish procedures for isolating, tracking and caring for COVID-positive students or staff
Your Partnership Is Needed To Ensure Everyone’s Well Being - All families must commit to supporting Palmetto Christian Academy health and wellness protocols and must agree to keep children at home when they are not feeling well, have COVID-like symptoms, or have potentially been exposed. In addition, we are asking families to perform daily temperature checks of their children before coming to school. If a student has a temperature of 100.4 or higher they should stay home.
2) In Classroom, Hybrid & Virtual Learning:
Google Classroom will be our learning platform of choice. Whether we are back on campus or teaching virtually, we will use Google Classroom to enhance our processes for students and faculty. Improvements include better work organization, easier submission of assignments, and the ability to access Google Drive from anywhere using any device. We have developed three learning options (in person, hybrid, virtual) which allow us flexibility in teaching within CDC/DHEC recommendations should we need to adjust.
3) Food Service:
- Cafeteria staff will serve food in closed containers from behind a Plexiglas barrier
- Both indoor and outdoor seating will be utilized in addition to the possibility of rotating in-classroom lunch periods in order to meet social distancing requirements
PCA is following all guidelines as provided by the South Carolina Independent School Association in regards to in-person return to practice/play.
In the event of another mandated shut down, we plan to REMAIN OPEN for the convenience of our families with preschool children if essential businesses are allowed to remain open. Additional safety measures will be taken including: students will wash hands when entering the classroom and during transition times, teachers will wear masks when working closely with students, the playground will be sanitized after each class ends their recess time, additional hygiene precautions will be taken during snack and lunch time and cleaning will occur several times a day in the hallways and at our entrance/exit doorways.
6) School Events & Chapels:
- Large group gatherings are on hold for now, however we will continue to collaborate with health and governmental officials to determine the best course of action as the year progresses
- Chapels will be held in classrooms and will be livestreamed or recorded.
- Field trips will be postponed until further notice
Please refer to the Event Updates & Cancellations section of this webpage.
We will keep you updated on our back to school plans and important information regarding COVID-19 via the website, email, social media and our emergency text messaging platform. If you have not opted-in to our PCA emergency text messaging system, please do so by texting YES to 87569. We want to ensure that you receive all Palmetto Christian Academy text messages. Please note, it is an FCC requirement to opt-in to receive emergency messages.
The following guidelines are in place for the protection of the PCA community:
• Faculty, staff, and students should stay home if they are sick.
• We ask PCA students, parents, faculty and staff to contact the school office if you plan to travel out of the country at any time during the school year.
• Please contact the school office immediately if you are caring for a family member who may be infected with COVID-19, or if you have been exposed to or have tested positive for COVID-19.
The Lord is still sovereign and He is our shield in times of trouble. We will ask His protection but also use the minds he gave us to find creative solutions to the current situation. The best thing we can do right now is to strengthen our partnership and covenant relationship so that we can work together during this challenging time.